ISRAEL PHOTOS V -- Spring 2011
During the Roman times Joppa was one of the primary harbors on Israel's central coast. Herod constructed artificial breakwaters at Caesarea Maritima, to the south, making it the largest and most protected Roman era harbor on this coast. In the Book of Acts of the Apostles Peter went to Joppa and stayed at the house of Simon the tanner.
The bell tower of the Church of St. Peter visible behind the gray warehouse. Fishing boats tied to docks in the harbor.
These rocks formed a natural harbor at Joppa since ancient times.
Joppa (1898-1914) Library of Congress Photo Collection.
In recent times a concrete sea wall was constructed.
WIND STORMS ON LAKE TIBERIAS
PETER'S VISION AT JOPPA
GIANT WILD MUSTARD IN ISRAEL
BIRDS PERCHED ON MUSTARD BRANCHES
MARONITE CHURCH CLIFF
MORE CLIFF PHOTOS
RECENT EXCAVATIONS AT THE POOL OF SILOAM
RECENT EXCAVATIONS AT MAGDALA